Sunday, August 19, 2007

Day 2: The Treasure Hunt

The second day back to school was a little better, if not productive. Principal Trinity set up a game where we teachers were put into groups and sent out following clues until we found the final clue leading us to where we all would reunite for lunch.

I was partnered with Jinny, the guidance counselor, Bonita, our secretary, and the new middle school science teacher, Mrs. Dorian. We had a great time. It was a lot of fun.

But...

As mentioned yesterday, I still have a lot of work to do in preparation for this new school year. I'd be a little less concerned except that tomorrow I have faculty development all day and Tuesday we have the District kick-off followed by, faculty development, so I can only hope that Wednesday I'll be left alone in my room for the entire day.

I'll let you know how things progress.

Oh, and check out Rosemond's article about school uniforms. I agree with everything he says, and I found particular interest when he stated that, "by sending a child to a public school, a parent consents, a priori, to government "interference" in child-rearing matters." I especially agree with this considering the number of parents expecting the school to do such things as teaching their children about sex, and disciplining their children in isolation without the crucial parental discipline necessary to let the child know that it's not "just a school thing" when he gets in trouble.

1 Comments:

At 8:21 AM, Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

"considering the number of parents expecting the school to do such things as teaching their children about sex, and disciplining their children in isolation without the crucial parental discipline necessary to let the child know that it's not "just a school thing" when he gets in trouble."

A few years ago, when Punkin' Pie was entering second grade, a survey sort of thing was sent home ahead of the first day of classes. We were asked basic questions about our child - what birth order she was in, how we felt she learned best, what particular quirks we thought the teacher should know about, that sort of thing. At the end, there was a "is there anything else you'd like to tell me?" question, and I used that space to assure the teacher that I am doing my job as a parent and that I did not expect her to raise my kid. If there were things happening in school that she thought I should know about, I welcomed her information and pledged my 100% support. By the same token, I said, there are certain standards of behavior that WE expect at home (manners, consideration, nonviolence) that we hoped she would reinforce in school.

About a month into it, I went to the parent-teacher night. I expected to be another face in the crowd, but Punkin's teacher sought me out. She'd been hoping that I'd come to P/T night because she wanted to express her profound gratitude to me for my answers to her questions. "You'd be horrified to see how many parents DON'T think the way you do," she said, "and I was relieved to know that people like you still exist."

I don't know whether to be honored or very, very afraid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home