Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Further Adventures in Teaching Yogi: Week 2

Week 2 showed me that I am influencing his decision making, but it's not a total transformation...

Monday - Mother called saying he wouldn't be coming in with little explanation.

Tuesday - Mother called and said he'd be 10-15 minutes late due to stomach problems. He showed up 27 minutes late. I told him I would not wait past the 15 minute lateness again. He left afteer an hour.

Wednesday - Only showed up nine minutes late, but left 30 minutes early. I called Mother to let her know what happened the previous day and this day. When I mentioned him being late 27 minutes the day before, she reminded me that she called me to let me know. I had to explain that she said 10-15 minutes and he was 27 minutes late. I would not wait past 15 minutes again.

Thursday - Yogi showed up 15 minutes EARLY? Unbelievable. It wasn't perfect though as he left 20 minutes early, but an amazing improvement.

Friday - Received a call before I left the house. Yogi had been up late puking. That is the sickest kid! He wouldn't be coming. I called to let my Principal know and I found out that he made it to summer school and she couldn't figure out why he couldn't make it to me. Good question.

While there's been some improvement, some of the games are still going on, but I'm starting to get across to him that I'm not playing.

1 Comments:

At 8:06 AM, Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

WHAT are these people thinking? ARE they thinking?

I'm constantly shaking my head in bemused disbelief as I watch students blow off classes, then complain that they receive failing grades.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home