Monday, April 30, 2007

Book Preference Meme

Ok, I found this blogger, The Tense Teacher, in Mrs. Chili's blogroll and the most recent post is a meme, and I love memes...So, here we go...

Science Fiction, Fantasy or Horror? Oh, horror easily. Science Fiction comes second with Fantasy a far, though still seen, third.

Hardback or Trade paperback or Mass market paperback? Hardback. Trade paperback, in terms of books, I'm not sure I am familiar with. Trades I think of comics, and I love my comics and I love the trades, but I thinking books, not comics. I'm sure it references something that I am aware of but don't realize it, but I love hardback books over all, so it doesn't really matter anyway.

Amazon or Brick and Mortar? As Tense Teacher was a bit confuzzled, so was I...it took me a bit to figure out what was going on...In the end, brick and mortar because I want to hold the book, see what's awaiting me. Amazon, and other online booksellers, makes me wonder if what sounds like a great book...isn't.

Barnes & Noble or Borders? Barnes...I love Barnes

Hitchhiker or Discworld? Hitchhiker...'nuff said!

Bookmark or Dog-ear? I hate to admit it, but dog-ear. I have tried bookmark, but it never sticks. I'm a horrible, horrible reader.

Asimov’s Science Fiction or Fantasy & Science Fiction? Never been a huge Asimov fan, but if I had to pick...Science Fiction...

Alphabetize by author, Alphabetize by title, or Random? In a perfect world, by title. There'd be an order, and yet at the same time a randomness. You could easily find what you wanted, but reading in order you'd most likely get any genre.

Keep, Throw away or Sell? Keep, then give away, never sell (unless something special, but then I'd probably keep), and never throw away.

Keep dust-jacket or Toss it? I'm a keeper, though I'm learning the ways of the dark side.

Read with dustjacket or Remove it? See above.

Short story or Novel? I'm a lover of short stories. I have a short attention span.

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket? Easy...Harry Potter.

Stop reading when tired or at Chapter breaks? Chapter break. There's at least some degree of resolution.

“It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time?” "Dark and stormy" easily. "Once upon a time" can be interesting, but not captivating.

Buy or Borrow? I'd rather buy a book I might not like, than to borrow a book I might love.

Buying choice: Book Reviews, Recommendation or Browse? Browse. I'm a better judge of what I would enjoy than any other human.

Lewis or Tolkien? Tolkien...'Nuff Said!

Collection (short stories by the same author) or Anthology (short stories by different authors)? Ooh, tough one. I've probably read more same author anthologies mainly because of King's various short story anthologies, but I prefer, I think, anthologies, because of the different writing styles, yet a connection by some theme...

Tidy ending or Cliffhanger? Neither. I don't want to wait months for the next book. But if an ending is too tidy, then I have little to think about once I put the book down.

Morning reading, Afternoon reading or Nighttime reading? ANy time, though if I had any control of my time, it would be nighttime. I think technically I read more in the morning and afternoon.

Stand alone or Series? For books, stand alone. But as a comic book reader, I can appreciate a series.

New or used? I've never shied from a used book, but I prefer new.

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard? Spares by Michael Marshall Smith

Top 5 favorite genre books of all time? Uh, doesn't any novel fall into a genre...Bag of Bones by Stephen King, Salem's Lot by Stephen King, and any collection of H.P. Lovecraft.

Favorite genre series? The Dark Tower by Stephen King

Currently Reading? Don't Try This at Home by Hunter S. Fulghum. I've learned how to conduct a hostage rescue, tow an iceburg, break into Fort Know, Swim the English Channel, fly through the eye of a hurricane, and salvage part of the Titanic. With this practical knowledge, the world is my oyster!

Alright, that’s it, but you fellow English teacher and book lover types better not let me down… I expect y’all to steal this one and have it filled out soon! Don’t make me start calling you out by name.

1 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Buy or Borrow? I'd rather buy a book I might not like, than to borrow a book I might love."

BoDog, I LOVED this answer....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home