Monday, June 18, 2007

Curriculum Development: Day 1

So, today was my first day working on developing a curriculum for the district. Our focus is on determining what "experiences" every student should have before they finish whatever grade they are in. I chose the 8th grade. Because I am the sole middle school teacher at Alty School, I teach grades 6-8. Apparently sixth grade wasn't present, so I had to pick 7th or 8th. &th grade already had two representatives, while 8th only had one, so I chose to even up the sides. By the time the last teacher straggled in, there were four 7th grade teachers and three 8th grade teachers, counting me. Then, the trouble...

"Mr. Asshole, did you bring your textbook."
"Uh, no. I was called just a couple of days ago and wasn't told to bring anything, but I can have it tomorrow."

This continued throughout the day...

"Mr. Asshole, did you get this book?"
"What book?"
"This very important book?"
"Uh, no, never heard of it."
Luckily, three of the seven of us had never received the book.

"Mr. Asshole, do you have those?"
"Have what?"
"The student workbooks that go with the texts?"
"Uh, no, but I do have the text books."

"The 8th grade wants to do The Outsiders, is that ok, Mrs. Coordinator? And we'll let the 7th grade keep Watsons Go to Birmingham"
"Yes, McSnot, that's fine. Mr. Asshole, you have those don't you?"
"Well, I did when I first got the job six years ago, but I think they were left in what passed for a bookroom when I moved to my portable, and I don't know if I have any copies."
"Well, we have plenty of used copies that are going to just be thrown away that we could send your way if you don't mind hand-me-downs."
"No, Mrs. McSnot, he doesn't need hand-me-downs..."
"No, Mrs. Coordinator, I'll happily take hand-me-downs as long as they are readable."

"Hey, the old textbook had this great bit about this! Mrs. Coordinator, can we use something from an old text?"
"Sure. Mrs. Snot. Mr. Asshole, do you have a copy of the old text?"
"No. I was overwhelmed when I got the new textbooks, because I never had textbooks before."
"We'll run copies for you."

Sigh...Thanks for noticing me...

3 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

gugh. There are so few other jobs I can think of where the practitioners are expected to perform - and to perform WELL - without the necessary tools and equipment. It's like sending a commercial fisherman to sea with a dime store rod and a butterfly net. And we wonder why the state of education (and the morale of teachers) is what it is....

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Bodog said...

OMG! i agree 100% Mrs C!

Add to that that many of the kids are sent to school without a good night's sleep, without a good hot breakfast, without basic supplies ...

-Blue

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

AARGH!

Sorry, folks! Was in enacting changes to Evil Genius Husband's blog and was still logged on as him.

That was MY pithy comment up there!

:))

-Blue (again)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home