Wednesday, May 02, 2007

A Little Knowledge...

We all know the old saying of Alexander Pope..."A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

Well, guess who just became the South Carolina Department of Education's Most Wanted! That's right, I'm the asshole!

Now, I've mentioned that I got drafted to cover a high school self-paced computer class. I asked the resident SPCC teacher to train me on the system back when it started and was told, "Can't until you have a class."

HORSESHIT!

I've done computer type training and you make the students the fuck up. But fine, whatever.

Except now I am learning that there were some things which weren't told me, or I missed during the 30 minutes training while my first class was underway...Man, I'm a fucking idiot. Like, while it's a self-paced computer program, some classes have paper, worksheet work. I was told about projects, I wasn't told about worksheets, so I have a couple of students with no grades because they haven't done worksheets I haven't given them because I didn't know or even imagine that there would be sheet work with a computer program. Fuck me, I'm an asshole.

There's also the student who I was told was in multimedia and Mrs. Melody Rama, the regular SPCC teacher whom I have mentioned before, would set up what he needed to do. First day in my class, "Mr. Asshole, what should I be doing?"

"Uh, new student, did someone set anything up?"

"Not that I know of..."

"Ok, well shill for today, I guess it's being worked on."

Next class...

"What should I be doing for multimedia, Mr. Asshole."

"I don't know, let me check. Mrs. Rama, what shout new student be doing?"

Mrs. Rama, "I don't know, all I know is he's taking German for me."

So I contact the powers that be with the same question and I get told, "Multimedia...a powerpoint project."

What the fuck does that mean? I mean, I know what powerpoint is, I use it all the time for class. But what is he supposed to learn in a multimedia class? What standards? So I ask again, "Mrs. Curriculum Coordinator, I was told that Mrs. Rama would set something up for New Student for his multimedia class. What do I need to do?"

Rsponse: Mrs. Rama says to have him do a powerpoint project...

Well, I can do that, I could make something up, but that's about as descriptive as an assignment like, "Write a report about World War II." You know, there is so much abouot World War II that you could get anything. I need to know what he is supposed to be learning in a multimedia class. I need some parameters with which to work. You wouldn't put an English teacher in any grade class and say, "Teach English," and walk away. Cause ANYTHING could be taught. "Powerpoint project?" What the fuck? Is the powerpoint project on multiple media forms and how they are similar and different and which form conveys which information the best? Is the powerpoint project supposed to show the student's use of multiple media forms since it does carry the ability to do multiple medias...

So, tomorrow I do what I always do...cover my ass...I'm not going to go and say, "This person and this person are trying to fuck me over!" I am going to say I am in a predicament. I have a plan. But I'm not going to leave out that had I been told, trained, communicated with, I wouldn't be where I am now. Maybe I should have realized. Looked closer. But forgive me if I spend more time thinking about my proper classes, my middle school English classes, and since I was told things like "self-paced", since all I was told was how to pull up reports with grades without any reference to paperwork grades, since my training didn't even consist of pulling up grading reports but how to create accounts for new students and how and when to use the bypass code, I didn't instinctively know to ask about or look into some of these other things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home