Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Another Wonderful Summer School Day

Ah, it's another wonderful day at summer school. Wait, did you notice that? Complete lack of past tense in that sentence...look!

"Ah, it's another wonderful day at summer school."

Why, by Jove, that's present tense...Does that mean? Could it possible mean?

YES! I'm blogging...AT SCHOOL!

Oh, my goodness...Don't I feel all dirty, spending my work time doing something frivilous like blogging when I should be teaching my students or at least monitoring them. Can you effectively monitor and blog at the same time? Not likely. I better get up and do my job... ... ... ...

WAIT A BLOODY MINUTE! My students aren't here...Where'd they go? If the director finds out that I lost my students, I'll be in deep dung. Huh, but funny thing...I don't remember seeing my students at all today...I better check my roster.

Well, I'll be a monkey's butler...My students never showed up. I usually teach 3 students in a summer school and not a one of them showed up...

HA!

Ok, so on with blogging...Did I tell you about last Thursday? The seventh grade summer school teachers gathered round and one said, "The either grade teachers are giving their students treats on the last day of every week. I wonder if we could get something for today?"

Uh-uh. See, it's summer school. You know who goes to summer school? The students who didn't try hard enough. Know what that means? That by giving them treats, you are rewarding them for not trying hard enough. I see it every day. Teachers taking their students outside...No! You don't make summer school pleasant at all.Summer school runs for 6 weeks and it's supposed to teach them what they didn't learn in the previous 36 weeks. We are basically giving them a free pass, get out of repeating your grade free card. If you can sit back and do nothing and simply complete a simple 6 week breeze course to pass, who cares if you fail! I'll tell ya', apparently a lot of parents don't. So, you get to move up to the next grade, your parents don't care...what's to keep you from failing consistently so you can just breeze through summer school?

We have to make summer school unpleasant. We have to tough, we have to be serious, we have to NOT do anything the students want to do. No treats, no outside, nothing. Classwork and good behavior. Make it miserable so that the next year when they are deciding if they are going to try to pass or not, they can think, "Well, Summer School work is easier, but man, it sucks...no fun, boring, nothing. I'd rather stay home sleeping late and playing my X-Game Station than put up with THAT mess again. I'll do the work."

Oh, and I just got word that one of my three students showed up. WOOHOO!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home