Thursday, June 01, 2006

Swiftly...

They came in the night. I, the humble cook, suddenly found myself awash in a sea of chaos and confusion as my unheralded guests stormed from corner to corner, screaming and thrashing. The guards, hearing the din of the maelstrom, came rushing in. They attempted to pin down the two interlopers disrupting my culinary preparations, but they proved too elusive for my protectors.

When amidst the turmoil I came to a sudden realization...If the guards had their way, a grave injustice would be committed. One guard eyed one of the intruders and began to corner him. From behind, I grabbed the guard, who now appeared to be the villain in this drama, and hurled him out of the kitchen. I lost one of my unexpected guests, as well as the second guard. I offered my hand for protection to my guest.

We then bolted out of the kitchen into the hall where I discovered the second guest pinned underneath the pointed weapon of the missing guard about to be sacrificed in the name of justice.
I, again, grabbed the guard and hurled him down the hall, the guard's victim scampered away, but the aggressive sentry would not be so easily denied his victory. I shoved the enraged sentinel into a closed off room, and locked him away.

I searched carefully and quietly for the second unexpected guest...the second small, confused, scared child.

*****

The above story is true...if you replace the two small, scared children with small, scared chimney swifts who fell out of the chimney and into the dining room/kitchen...and replace the two guards with two hungry cats...

The two traumatized baby swifts seemed ok after I took them outside and put them on top of the picnic umbrella, where they sat still for a moment surely regaining their composure, and then flying off into the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home