Saturday, June 17, 2006

It's Been About Two Weeks...

Why have I not been blogging? Well, see...I'm a guy who does really well with routine. That's why I want to blog a little bit every day, and I did so for a while...but then one day, I didn't. I didn't because Thursday night a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't sleep...at all. The problem is that Friday, I had to go be "trained" for summer school. "Trained". This is the 7th Summer School I've done...I don't need to be trained. But they wanted me there anyway.

By the time I got home, I was exhausted...too tired to blog. And it threw off my groove. I'm just starting back.

What have I done in those two weeks? I've started teaching Sumemr School. I have two classes...3 students. That's right, true believers, I have one class with one student. Summer School is just the district giving me a binder full of worksheets to complete with our students by the end. The program has always been pretty good, but it had to be changed this year because we are having a longer summer school. The person who adjusted the program for the longer days did a HORRIBLE job. A program which was pretty good has become awful.

I'm teaching 7th grade Geography. Every day starts off with a journal which makes no sense. "Based on your findings, what was the cause of the incident?" Uh...what findings on what incident? "Examine the positive and negative causes of historical events." Heh. Students in summer school, after a year of Geography, which they failed, are supposed to not only remember something from history, but remember what caused the event? Not likely.

We had a day of nothing but filling in maps. MAPS! The whole day. The previous program, we did a little map work every day. And the books I needed to do the maps weren't given to me. I used what I had been given. Then there were days where we needed specifically to look at maps and charts from a particular book...not given to me...because they were not told to have them out...and I didn't know because I don't usually teach Geography, so it was a fiasco trying to find out what I needed to do the work for those days.

3 students, 2 classes, countless little fiascos.

I am, however, going to try and get myself out of the classroom for next year's summer school and into the director's chair. Seems they'll need a new one next year. They don't need someone with an administrator's degree. I'm going for it.

I also took my National Boards Test. But I think that needs its own post. Check back soon...or in two weeks...depending on...the routine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home