Sunday, March 23, 2008

Introducing the new Parenting Awards...the LOFties

Work has provided me with several interesting stories about parents and the practice of labelling behaviors as mental illness.

I was in a meeting recently where we discussed what should be done about a student who was diagnosed with Disruptive Disorder. I asked, "So, there's a disorder now that makes us disrupt?" Ok, in meetings I know better than to ask questions like that, but I did ask, "What is Disruptive Disorder?" What I was told was that to be diagnosed with Disruptive Disorder, a person has to display certain behaviors like continual rule breaking, aggression, etc., and through testing doctors rule out other possible causes like ADHD and such. So I said, "So it's a catchall for when they can't figure out what's wrong?" I was told...yes.

Now, I don't want to say that that negates the disability and that it doesn't exist. I'm not going to say I necessarily understand what I was told, and maybe I was given the simple version since I'm just an English teacher. I am concerned, however, that psychiatrists are doling out the meds for behaviors which other children can display and then get rid of with effective discipline. I wonder how many children get labeled with ADHD, ODD, and other Disruptive Disorders (using Goggle, I learned that Disruptive Disorder is apparently a class of disorders) when they are just suffering from BADD, Behavior Absent Discipline Disorder.

I don't wonder this just because I feel that naming disorders for socially unacceptable behavior and medicating people who display these behaviors removes all personal responsibility, but as a teacher who has seen the child who has BADD and the parents that gave it to them. They use the Lord of the Flies parenting approach. Parents using the LOF approach feel that all a sentient being needs to become a good, upright, productive member of society is respect. They respect their boundaries by not getting too involved in their activities. They respect their privacy by not going through their rooms. They respect their individuality by letting them make their own decisions under the assumption that they will eventually learn how to make better decisions on their own. It doesn't work...

I spoke with one parent, again recently, although I've heard the message from many parents, who said, "Well, it's up to him to decide to behave. I've spoken with him until I'm blue in the face, but until he decides to make the right decision, he's going to just keep getting in trouble."

Ummm...no. See, that's LOF parenting. It's NOT his decision because he lives in YOUR house. He is a teenager barely. He doesn't know how to make decisions yet. He doesn't think about tomorrow much less 5 or 6 years from now when he's graduating from high school and has to make it in the world. You talk to him? My dad talked to me all the time about the importance of doing my homework and while I understood what he was saying and I agreed with him, I still didn't do my homework. At 33, I wish I had done my homework, but at 13, even though I understood and agreed, I didn't make the decision to do it. But then this is a parent who asked if he was the only one talking during class and if I've moved him away from the other students with whom he is speaking. No, he isn't always the only one talking, although sometimes he is, and even if others are talking, they all get in equal trouble, and yes he's been moved to the most isolated desk...still, no effect. But then if you would do more than talk, maybe he'd be a little more compliant. This parent wins my new parenting award for effective use of the Lord of the Flies Parenting Style, the LOFty.

Another parent, at a meeting about whether or not her child would stay with us or return to the home school, said, "Whether she stays here or goes back, she'll still just get in trouble." Well, mom, that's encouraging. I didn't get much information on her parenting style, but I would guess that she probably used a LOF type of discipline and at this point, has gotten frustrated that her child has not just started making responsible decisions. So rather than changing her style to one that is effective like knowing your child is capable of behaving and if she doesn't, then things are taken away like the phone, the tv, the mp3 player, etc., the parent gives up and makes degrading comments. This parent, too, wins a LOFty.

Now, I will say that I don't know how good a parenting job I will have done when all is said and done. I also know that some parents have a hard time monitoring their children and disciplining because they are single parents and/or have to work long, hard hours. I mean, how can you make sure your child doesn't watch TV when he gets home from school hours before you get home from work? Well, I know I'd deprive myself of the television to make a point. There's nothing that I would take from my children that I wouldn't eliminate from my life if necessary to reach my children...but that's just me.

6 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

No, actually, Asshole - it's NOT just you. I'd do that, too.

The thing is, I have to allow for the possibility that good parents can raise terrible kids. I mean, if I was raised by awful parents (and believe me, I was) and I can turn out okay (at least, I THINK I'm okay), then I have to consider that the opposite is also true, right?

We're actually having a hard time with nearly-11-year-old Punkin' Pie. For a little girl who lives in a house where little else is regarded with as much respect and admiration as education, she's doing her best to sabotage her fifth-grade self. She's skipping assignments (or doing them but forgetting to turn them in), she won't go even a LITTLE beyond what's being asked of her (forget having her look anything up) - it's making me crazy. We can't live a better example of the respect for education, yet here's my kid, already starting to develop a disdain for learning. We're trying to nip it in the proverbial bud.

The point of your post is still valid, though - don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to undercut your argument. I don't think that most parents actually DO parent, and it's frustrating as hell to me to see my children's friends behaving the way they do and getting away with it - it makes my job harder.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Bodog said...

Yeah, I don't mean to say that there's a perfect formula for raising children. I know it's trial and error...I just don't see much trial...at least where I work.

I guess I'm just bothered that there are parents who just don't care, even if it's due to frustration. And I get exposed to a majority of parents who have given up hope where I work. Try something different, but don't give up on your child.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Josh said...

I work for a company called Picateers, a company that offers a portrait fundraising program to schools. Please check out our site and let us know if we can help you. We also have a blog offering fundraising tips and ideas. Thanks!

 
At 1:34 AM, Blogger Sean Duffie said...

Until someone puts together "I Was Not Parented Disorder," IWNPD, there's no succinct way of addressing the fact that the kids of my generation have never had reality in their faces. Kids can't just "Figure It Out," nor can they just be managed.

Have you ever seen electrical dog fence? If you put the dog out in the yard, he's not going to figure it out, and he'll just keep screwing up until the day he dies, but if he's properly trained on the fence, he'll know very well what's going on.

I hate to equate this to pets, and I hope the analogy is clear, but I agree with you and Chili.

Self-actualization comes LAST, so why are kids raised as though it comes first?

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

IMHO, part of the problem today is self-indugence and a sense of entitlement. Everyone just WAAAAAnts to have it all and they feel as if they deserve it all!

So Ashley WAAAAnts a perfect wedding, a huge house, an SUV, and two kids (a boy and a girl, natch!)

The fact that she's 22, dropped out of college to marry, never had to work for anything in her life and has the maturity of a 13-year-old is lost.

So then she has these two kids and - after being the center of attention through a lavish wedding planning/wedding/ and 2 'difficult' pregnancies ...

she has no idea what to do.

Short of racking up credit card charges buying crap the kids don't need and dressing her daughter up like a doll, she has ZERO idea how to raise them AND HAS NO INTENTION OF DEPRIVING HERSELF OF ANYTHING IN DOING SO!

...

Oh crap ... how'd that soapbox get in here? Sorry, bodog.

*drag*drag*drag*

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger EHT said...

Hmmm...I wonder if I developed disruptive disorder could I get disability? Sigh.

Don't you just wish those parents that keep saying they've talked to their kids until they are blue in the face would blue their hands instead on their child's backside?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home