Sunday, March 16, 2008

I'm Finally Accepted by the Cool Kids!

This week, I've finally found acceptance among the cool kids. Ok, as a teacher, because brought in to the cool crowd should not be a high priority on my list, especially with the "in-group" being teenagers, but I'm still holding on to some of my feelings of isolation and embarassment from things like my middle school nickname of "Goob".



Well, it's the nicknames that have told me how accepted I've become. Like "Fucking Faggot". Isn't that nice? And I appreciate the use of alliteration there. It's a little long, though, and I'm not sure really applicable in describing who I am as a person. It's also a bit risque for school. I mean, ok I have 5 children, so referring to me as a bundle of sticks with a healthy sex life...I'm not sure I can allow that one to continue. Another student called me "Homo", which is great. I mean, "Homo" is a prefix meaning "the same"...so he was saying that I am the same as him...see, acceptance! Then one student called me "Little Bitch". That one certainly has the compliment of saying that I am not overweight, and "bitch" is a female dog. Well, they often call each other "dog". I guess the female reference is just a friendly jab. They're always making fun of each other in friendly ways. Also, clearly, "bitch" and "little" have assonance, so that's an appreciated langauge arts nod as well. I received one more nickname this week...well, I didn't receive it from my student, but he used it..."Asshole". It makes me wonder if he's reading my blog and was letting me know in an indirect manner.



So now I'm hanging with the popular kids, although they should probably settle on one nickname rather than everyone coming up with a different one. But they like me...they really like me. I'm just going to bask in the warm fuzzies of my new nicknames.



Well, this is Little Bitch Asshole saying, I'm in like Flynn!













Hey! Wait a minute!

3 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Wait a minute, indeed!

What IS it with kids and all the frickin' homophobia? Knowing what I know about what's going on in the GLBTQ world right now, this kind of hate speech puts me off, even if the kids DON'T mean anything by it. I stomp on it whenever I hear it - say something often enough and it becomes your truth.

You still make me laugh, though...

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Bodog said...

Yes, I don't mean to make light of the prejudice that my students display in their choice of derogatory remarks. It's not the denotation (kind of) that offends me. It's the connotation. The disrespect and insult.

I don't tolerate homophilic terminology in my classroom. But as with any insult, as the terms are intended to be no matter your sexual orientation, directed toward me, I have to find the humor in it for fear that I start taking it personally.

 
At 1:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Clark it took you 34 years but you are now "IN" with the cool kids. I am SOOOOO proud of you!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home